Sunday, December 19, 2010

Itsy bitsy teeny weeny.

Seeing as it is summer and all, I have decided to try my hand at making myself a bikini. And yes, it will be polka dot!

I stumbled across Sew Happy Clothes the other day, and have to admit I have spent hours reading Meg's blog. All the clothes she has made are beautiful, and I love how she sews/knits to the seasons (knitters would love her blog too). I fell in love with Meg's tropical bikini, and just had to go in search of the pattern she made.

I'm glad I saw Meg's swimmers first before seeing the pattern, as I know that if I had seen the pattern first, I would have been put off by the bikini photographs and fabric combinations. (On a side note, I have been trying hard lately when looking at patterns to see past the colour/print of the fabrics used for the display, however I am still not good at it. Maybe I don't have a very good imagination?).
I found the pattern on eBay for $8 and it is now on its way to me.

I then went in search of appropriate swimwear fabric. The website Meg uses is an American-based one called Spandex World and had a great selection of fabrics. However, the postage to Australia was going to be $50 (yikes) so I decided not to buy their fabrics. If you do live in the US though I would seriously check it out.

After much googling with search results for 'spandex' and 'lycra' coming up with lots of unhelpful images, I turned to eBay and voila, 1 yard of this polka dotted print is on its way to me.


I am going to make bikini 'C' with this fabric. I needed lining also, and again eBay delivered the goods...

This weeks Sewing Homework is to research more about swimwear fabrics with a "4 way" stretch and work out what type of needles to use, what stitches to use, etc.

Hmm... I like the idea of Sewing Homework! Maybe I will make this a weekly thing?

Lets hope I can make this polka dotted beauty before summer ends!

Sam xox

5 comments:

  1. Half your luck being able to wear a Bikini, I can't remember when I did, big grin.
    I think you would use a Ballpoint needle and I stretch stitch on your machine.
    Anyway I am sure you work it out, have fun.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you make! Thank you for your kind words. I, too, have difficulty seeing the potential of patterns sometimes. It's so helpful to be part of a sewing community that can inspire!

    I agree with Christine: ballpoint needle and a zig-zag stitch. You may also want to "baste" the elastic in place with sew-through wash-away wonder tape, as getting the elastic in place and lying flat can be one of the most challenging parts of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post brought a smile to my face. I can't imagine decorating the Christmas tree one day and sewing a bikini the next! Here, I'd be sewing a parka!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!
    Christine- thanks so much for your tips!
    Meg - Thanks also for the tips. I will have a look for that elastic in the shops, but I am sure if it is not there I can find it on ebay. The fabric didn't cost a lot so if I do make a complete mess of it I won't be too upset!
    Barb - Glad to make you smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also inspired by the bikini she made and found your blog through your post on her blog. I don't intend to make a bikini any time soon but I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with by the end of the summer. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete