Sunday, March 18, 2012

Serger Series – Tips on saving money stitching.



This is the final instalment of the Serger Series. Today I wanted to share with you a simple money saving tip that I find really useful, especially when I need to serge with thread colours that I don't normally use (think red, green, blue, etc).

Serger threads can cost quite a bit of money. In Australia I typically see them for around $6.00 each. If I am stitching with four threads that can become quite expensive! So if you have a more unusual colour you want to stitch with, but know you probably won’t stitch with the colour again any time soon, why not only buy two spools instead of four? 


 ~Melrose 12-pack neutral colour serger thread ~

Use the two spools of the colour that match your garment as the bottom looper threads, and use a neutral thread colour for the needle threads. As the needle threads only provide tiny stabilising stitches, no one is really going to notice. This means you get the right colour stitches for half the price! (Note: This works just as well for three thread stitching too).

I really hope you've all found this series helpful. I have very much enjoyed sharing it with you!

Sam xox

Disclaimer: Always refer to your own serger/overlocker manual for definitive advice on how to set up, thread and sew with your machine. I do not claim to be an expert on every model and thus am only sharing my personal experiences using two ‘lower end’ models (Toyota3400d and Janome1110dx). Also, I am in no way affiliated with the Melrose thread. I am simply giving an example of some neutral colour options.

3 comments: