Monday, November 29, 2010

Retro quilt top.

Have you been wondering why you haven't seen much action from the retro square quilt top I was planning to make? I spent hours musing over which combination of fabrics to use for the quilt top. I arranged them in different ways. I tried different colour combinations, but nothing felt right (all you quilters out there know how this feels right?!). I have since worked out why. All the fabrics I bought were mostly orange, yellow, green or purple and all were medium to large print florals. The result being that the squares all seemed to blur into each other. See what I mean?


Anyone who has made a quilt will (hopefully) know the rule of having 10% pizazz! Thats right, 10% of your quilt top should be made up of a fabric that does not match the rest of your quilt. It creates a pleasing contrast without taking away from the overall look of the quilt. I hit etsy in search of pizazz and these four fabrics are now on their way to me, ready to make my quilt top complete!





Not all florals, not all orange. Perfect. Fabrics from PoppysRoom (sister shop to Zwizzle).

Sam xox

1 comment:

  1. I attended a work shop that our guild is taking part in. We are doing the paper pieced Orange Peel Quilt. Most of the a.m. was spent discussing colour theory and using a colour wheel to choose the fabric needed for this quilt. I didn't know there was so much to learn.
    You are on the right track with your fabric.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete