Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cordova jacket.

After keeping this secret for almost two months I am so excited that I can finally show you my Cordova Jacket! To be honest I was a little nervous about sewing an intermediate jacket pattern, as I have never sewn a jacket before (though I do have one half completed). When I saw the pattern and read through the instructions the nerves completely settled. Tasia really does know how to write simple, easy to understand instructions without "dumbing down" the patten or techniques. This jacket had it all; lining, zipper, interfacing, princess seams, and a peplum.

I decided on navy for the colour and fortunately found the perfect Italian wool crepe in my local fabric store. I had promised Tasia a Liberty of London lining, but it just didn't seem to suit the drape of the crepe fabric. Instead, I opted for a soft lining fabric in a pinky/latte colour. I sewed a size 8 and did not have to make any changes. The jacket went together very easily thanks to the clear instructions. I am soooo happy with how it turned out. It looks dressy and casual at the same time, know what I mean? Also, my husbands comment was "you could buy that in a store".... always a nice compliment (do other people say that to you as a form of compliment when you make something?). And I did keep my promise to Tasia in a way, I made a Sorbetto top from a Liberty of London Tana Lawn to match the jacket!

So without further ado, here is my version of the Sewaholic's latest pattern, the Cordova jacket...











If you want to try making a Cordova jacket for yourself, visit the Sewaholic pattern store.

Sam xox

24 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! Have you been getting much wear from it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not lately because it is getting so hot, but I think it will be perfect in the cooler months.

      Delete
  2. It is particularly gorgeous :) I love how the sleeve cap ease is worked into those little pleats at the armscye, and how you've got the cuffs folded up to show a bit of the lining :) A pretty darn good effort considering it's not something you've tried before! The liberty sorbetto is a beautiful match :)
    The peplums at the side look like they'd be really quite tricky to sew?
    It's fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise the peplum sides are no where near as tricky a they look. They were actually as easy as sewing a normal curved seam. The instructions and really clear and easy to follow. I would definitely recommend the pattern. Oh, you can always sew View B that doesn't have the peplum? :-)

      Delete
  3. fantastic, great jacket and love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice. I'm glad to hear that it went together rather straightforwardly. I am nervous to make a jacket too but I love all the Sewaholic patterns and I think it's time I try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I promise it is a lot easier than it looks. It had a very similar layout to the Pendrell Blouse, with the princess seams and also the pleats on the sleeve. Tasia really has done a great job on the instructions too.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful job. I love seeing her patterns made up in so many variations by the testers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps. Me too! I can't wait to see what the other pattern testers made. I hear one person may have used leather!

      Delete
  6. I love your jacket, and it looks wonderful on you! Enjoy wearing it! I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps, You should totally make one. I am already thinking of what fabric to use for my next one ;-)

      Delete
  7. Great job - I think that this is the best version (in my opinion!) I have seen so far! I had best go and buy a pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your husband is totally right! Gorgeous job. I love the colour you chose too, it could be very professional looking or great for casual too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhh don't say that too loud in case he hears ;-) hehe!

      Delete
  9. This is so lovely Sam, the colour and style suit you perfectly! I also adore your Liberty Lawn tank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps Marie! Liberty is just beautiful to work with isn't it. I reckon this jacket would look awesome on you - are you going to buy a pattern?

      Delete
  10. Too cute! I love the little half-peplummy bits on the sides. And you can never go wrong with a Sorbetto!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow it looks awesome! Great colour to go with everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful jacket Sam! I'm making mine now. It's been sitting in the to-do pile since Christmas. Did you have any troubles with the back and the peplum not fitting in?

    ReplyDelete