Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sweet nothings.

~ A very nice lingerie & unmentionables sewing pattern book ~


Hi friends,


Life has finally settled down and I am getting my sewing mojo back. It's amazing ins't it how when you're life becomes hectic and chaotic, things slip away? I let my sewing slip away for too long, and it has made me sad :-(


My machines spent one month packed in a box, another month trying to find their place in the great mess that was our spare room, and admittedly the last few weeks being mostly ignored. Last weekend we were reunited, and I think I have been forgiven.


On Friday I had the day off work and made a point of tidying up and putting away the last few bits and pieces in my sewing room. It is now organised and ready for sewing projects which will just mess it up again. I placed all my patterns on my shelves, and fabrics in their piles. It was a good reminder of all the projects that have been patiently waiting to be made for these past three months.


In the afternoon I went to the Newcastle Craft and Sewing Show. The tag line for this even was "it's sew you"... but it just wasn't! None of the stalls in the 8 aisles inspired me. To be honest about 15 seconds after entering I wanted to run, as it all really wasn't my taste. However, a little voice in my head grumbled "you've just paid $7 parking and $14 entry to be here. You ain't leavin' yet!".


Most of the stalls were focused on either scrap booking or pre-packed quilt kits. Not that there is anything wrong with these crafts, but there really wasn't any stalls that catered to the dressmaking sewer.


Thanks to the little voice though I didn't turn and run. Hiding up the back of the room sat a book stand that was selling more craft/sewing books than I have ever seen in one space, and they were really reasonably priced. I browsed a number of pattern/dressmaking books and decided upon this one...




"Sweet Nothings" by Valerie Van Arsdale Shrader. A book about sewing unmentionables, complete with patterns galore. It was the first time I have found a sewing book dedicated to sewing unmentionable items that include patterns too! I am planning on making some French knickers and have purchased some wide stretch lace from Etsy which will hopefully arrive next week. I guess it is a little too early for me to be giving a book review as I have not yet sewn anything from it, but I have read it through word-for-word...


So this can be considered a pre-book review. And as any good book review (pre or not) wouldn't be complete without some sneak peaks inside the book, here are a couple of shots of whats under the cover (wow cheesy pun, I know)...



~ Some templates need to be enlarged using a photocopier ~



~ Pattern instructions come with detailed illustrations ~



~ Pyjama's made some a vintage sheet ~



~ Double sided paper patterns are supplied too.
You simply trace them onto paper to use ~


You can check it out here on Amazon too.


Sam xox

4 comments:

  1. How have I never seen this book before? Looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the garments you make from it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen or heard of that book before but I want it! Those pjs look so cute. I really want to make some cute pjs to take on our honeymoon. We are heading up north so it is going to be hot so I want to make something light and cute and a bit vintage inspired. Let me know how the book goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog darling Sam. It's so wonderful to have you back, and with such treats! This book looks delicious. I'm really looking forward to hearing a 'post-pattern-review' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked up a lovely book - well done - I didn't get anything!!!! arrgghhh

    ReplyDelete